Statistics to Help You Sell Smarter in 2021!
Even with limited resources, setting up a business and selling online has never been easier. Online shopping is an industry that is here to stay, and will only to continue to grow as the world shifts and changes.
In fact, it has been forecasted that 95% of sales will occur online by 2040. As the market thrives, knowing the right statistics, data, and trends to follow can help make all the difference in your e-commerce sales and marketing efforts.
With the right data, you’ll be able to grasp the current landscape as it stands, and use that knowledge to set yourself up for future success. Dig into these current statistics and jump-start your sales today!
Your customers will see your digital storefront first, so it’s important to have a good experience for everyone! If your site is laid out correctly and well-designed, customers will delight in their shopping experience, and actually spend more!
- 69% of shopping carts are abandoned.
- The number one reason people shop online is that they’re able to shop at all hours of the day.
- On average, only 2.86% of e-commerce website visits convert into a purchase.
- Consumers are most likely to trust a business that makes it easy to contact people at the company.
- 46% of small US-based businesses have yet to launch their own websites.
Consumers expect a mobile-first design, followed by modern principles and a hassle-free shopping experience. Optimizing for mobile will surely help you secure more sales over time.
- The average value of smartphone shopping orders is $79.
- As of January 2021, there were 5.22 billion unique mobile phone users in the world
- 90% of businesses are investing in mobile platforms this year.
- 67% of consumers prefer to use a mobile website over an app.
- Shopping cart abandonment is much higher among mobile users.
Not finding you’re ranking well in the search engines? It’s not always an easy task. Take a look at some of the most recent SEO stats below.
- 68% of online experiences start with a search engine.
- 43% of e-commerce traffic comes from Organic Google Search.
- Search engines drive 10 times more traffic to shopping sites than social media,
- Updating existing content with fresh images and written content can increase organic traffic by 111.3%
- Product videos help you to get 157% more organic traffic from search engines.
A blog may be one of the most cost-effective methods for marketing your products. Your blog is not just another way to sell superficially or be aggressive to lead people into making a purchase. It is about learning and sharing informative content.
- Six out of ten buyers report seeing the value of blog posts at the start of their purchase journey.
- 60% of customers feel more connected to businesses after reading unique blog posts on their websites.
- 47% of online shoppers read three to five articles before engaging with an e-commerce business.
- Small businesses that blog produce 126% more leads than those that don’t.
- Publishing 11+ times per month leads to 4x more leads on average.
Whether developing your e-commerce site or trying to break into a new market, creating social channels is a necessary step toward promoting your products online.
- Online stores with a social media presence have an average of 32% more sales than those that don’t.
- 65% of people who use social selling fill their pipeline, compared to 47% of people who do not.
- Four in 10 people have recently closed two to five deals directly, thanks to social media.
- 85% of orders from social media sites come from Facebook.
- 75% of Instagram users have taken an action, such as visiting a website, after looking at an Instagram advertising post.
Email marketing is an effective tactic that can lead to greater conversions in the long-run. Check out some of the latest statistics in email marketing below.
- Email can be 40x more effective than either Facebook or Twitter at new customer acquisition.
- 89% of marketers say that email is their primary channel for lead generation.
- 70% of sales stop at one email. Yet if you send more emails, you’ve got a 25% chance to hear back.
- 8% of cart recovery emails lead to conversions.
- Average return of email marketing? Over 40x what you invest.
If you’re going to build an online store, you’ll certainly need a way to accept payment. Here are some of the latest statistics on online payment methods, and trends for 2021.
- By 2023, more than 50% of all e-commerce spend is expected to be carried out with digital and mobile wallets.
- 82% of Generation Z consumers who own a smartphone shop online.
- 50% of Gen Z-ers and Millennials are willing to share their online bank account details with third-party service providers.
- 57% of online shoppers have made a purchase from an overseas retailer.
- 46.5% of small to mid-sized businesses say that offering free shipping increases their profits.
Customer service can make or break your e-commerce sales. Having a strong customer support system in place can help distinguish you from the rest of the competition, and get your customers spending more!
- 84% of consumers consider customer service to be a key factor when deciding whether to purchase.
- 95% of consumers say that customer service is important for brand loyalty
- More than nine out of ten consumers say they will stop buying from a company after three (or fewer) poor customer service experiences
- 68% of consumers say they are willing to fork out more for products and services from a brand that’s known to offer good customer service experiences
- 46% of consumers expect more from customer service than the previous year.
While these aren’t the only statistics out there worth looking into, there are many more sales statistics worth reading. There are even tools that can help your store sell more products and services.